Votes: 144 58.3%
  • No I would not

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Thats just asking for trouble

Votes: 26 10.5%

Open Carry in Florida

29K views 195 replies 62 participants last post by  fhpdude 
#1 ·
After reading tales of open carry in other states in different forums, I have a question for Florida concealed permit holders.
If you could open Carry legally in Florida, would you?

#3 ·
Even though you will stand out to GG,s and BG,s alike anyone would think twice about making you a victim. Some will say that it will make you the first target in a bank robbery or hostage situation but if you plan to open carry you will have to have a different mindset all together.

It most likely will never happen but I wish it would.

#4 ·
While I understand that open carry could make you a target in the event that someone was bound and determined to effect a crime.
IE: You are in a restaurant that gets robbed, robber spots you're openly displayed weapon before you are able to draw...and you become an immediate target.

That said...I also believe in the credo that states and armed society...is a polite society. Odds are...if the KNOW you are armed...they will give you a wide berth. Generally speaking...criminals are looking for prey...the easy score...not someone that might shoot them.

However...because of the possibility of your gun being taken and potentially used against you...your situational awareness better be at the top of its game!

Likely best to continue to carry concealed all in all... ;)

#6 · (Edited)
Just a bit of history here.

Prior to about '72 that was the ONLY way one could carry a licensed pistol or 'repeating' rifle since the first licensing law was passed in 1894. But the licenses were only good in the County they were issued from. Approximately at the stated year the legislature modified the law and permitted cc with the license. When the '87 law passed the initial intent was to permit unlicensed open carry, as is the usual law in most States. Unfortunately the liberal press made a field day of the practice and some fools played to the audience by wearing 'buscadero' rigs in Miami and other major citys. Then SA Janet Reno (then a Fla. State's Attorney) got on board and haranged our courageous legislature which promptly knee jerked and outlawed a practice that had always been legal.

Personally I think we could get it back, but now only as a licensed practice, further we'd have to drum up some support from an influential legislator or organization with credibility such as the USF under Marion Hammer.

Outlawing it was truly a solution for a non existant problem.

#7 ·
Thanks for that history lesson Dogrunner. Its very interesting. I too would love to have the option to open carry as the need arise. As you can see from my avatar I ride a motorcycle. I ride to and from work 5-6 days a week and the easiest way to carry would be to strap my weapon to my thigh. Right now I struggle to find a comfortable position for my weapon when riding.

I would willingly petition the right person to have a pro open carry law passed.

#16 ·
I would not open carry. Concealed carry offers us a tremendous tactical advantage in just about every scenario. In many situations, open carry would put you at a disadvantage.

While I fully understand the political reasons of the proponents of open carry, I don't carry a weapon to make a political statement. I believe in a low profile and readiness.

#17 ·
FLRon,

I agree with you on the low profile issue. I used to say, when I was in the Air Force, that I was/am "low profile but highly mobile!"

#18 ·
Personally, I would be behind open carry - if only to enjoy freedom from the pressures of perfect concealment. However, I am in agreement with others in this string and would prefer to retain the tactical advantages offered by concealment.

Other points about the requirement for a different type of awareness are very well made. Would gun theft rise?

#20 ·
Personally, I would be behind open carry - if only to enjoy freedom from the pressures of perfect concealment. However, I am in agreement with others in this string and would prefer to retain the tactical advantages offered by concealment.

Other points about the requirement for a different type of awareness are very well made.

I agree, I would support the open carry law, but I would choose to remain carrying concealed.

I enjoy the fact that I know I am carrying concealed, but those around me who may do me harm do not know that I am carrying.

I try to look like the rest of the "sheep in the flock", but know that I have the ability, and the fangs, to be the "sheep dog" if the need arises!

:thumsup

Being an ex-LEO, a question comes to my mind ....

As it stands now, carrying concealed does not require enforcement, unless the weapon is displayed, then a LEO has to act to insure the person is legal.

IF open carry comes into law, how the heck will LEO's know WHO is legal and who is carrying illegally?

To enforce the law, LEO's would have to stop everyone they observe diplaying a firearm to insure the legality.

I see a logistical and legal nightmare there.

#24 ·
Aren't there some states that mandate those without a CCW have to Open Carry and can only go concealed upon obtaining their state permit? Also I believe in some of those open carry states that in certain establishments you have to open carry even if you have a concealed permit..Personally I would welcome an Open Carry statute but would be very careful about where I did. Prefer the "Grey Man" approach most everywhere..

#26 ·
Aren't there some states that mandate those without a CCW have to Open Carry and can only go concealed upon obtaining their state permit?

Yes sir, Arizona is one of these states. Open carry for everyone who can own a gun with no licensing. CCW allows the firearms and blades to be carried concealed upon your person. I open carry often enough at the gun shop I work at part time when I'm not out of state training others, but for the most part I conceal in public 90% of the time, though I don't fear open carry like some do relative the risks of having it taken away from you by some BG

Brownie

#27 ·
Open carry, while scary looking removes the tactical advantage you may have over a situation where you may end up suddenly in a hold-up or robbery. If you are seen to be carring your open carry firearm, during the robbery, there is a good chance the robber my take you out first before you are aware of whats going down....

#28 ·
Welcome to the forum Sheepdog..with that said there's two sides to that argument..If the BG can see your armed he might just decide to go somewhere else. Most of 'em are just looking for easy pickin's not armed confrontation. Pro's and Con's to both sides. This discussion has been going on for years but I've yet to hear of anyone who was open carrying getting blown away first during an armed robbery.

#29 · (Edited)
Sheepdog27,

While that is a possibility, the other end of the scale would have to ask--------how many robberies or holdups were not carried out as the perp saw someone who represented a real threat and decided it wasn't worth the effort at that time?

One can never know how many people open carrying have stopped some perps actions once an armed citizen was injected into his scenario as well.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to carrying openly where permitted.

edited to add: SwampRat, we're on the same page and posted almost on top of each other.

Brownie

#31 ·
Sure did :drinks ..I think anyone that has been on any gun forums can say that this argument/discussion has gotten quite heated at times. Personally, as part of our 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms I dont have a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is the government telling me whether I can or cant. It should be left up to the individual as to their mode of carry.

#32 ·
If it were legalized i would OC at my house, and some other select places. Outside of that, i really dont want people knowing im locked and loaded. I think it's best to have a choise on weather or not you want to draw. When OC'ing you kind of are required to in some situations to keep your life.

#33 ·
I was a Virginian for 61 years, where our right to keep and bear arms has not been outlawed. At 18, in the sticks of outer Fairfax county, I open carried a .38. (Glocks had not been invented in 1959.)

I conceal carry my G27, a little .40 caliber. If our right to bear arms had not been outlawed in Florida, I would open carry my G20, a much bigger and badder 10mm pistol.

#34 ·
Out there with mother nature I open carry but in the city I don't want anyone to know. I like the element of surprise as I am to old to fight and to sick to run so I have to have something going for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.